Skip to Content


Frequently Asked Questions About Immigration

Answers from Our Dedicated Chicago Immigration Attorney

Immigration is a complicated area of the law and no two immigration cases are the same. At Panteva Law Group, LLC we relish the opportunity to guide our clients through difficult cases and to help them achieve their goals. For your convenience, we have answered some of the most frequently asked immigration questions below.

If your question is not answered here, contact our firm to speak with a qualified attorney. We speak Bulgarian, Spanish, Mandarin, and French, and we serve clients nationwide.

  • Frequently Asked Questions About Immigration

    • What Is the Labor Certification Process?

      The labor certification process is conducted by the U.S. Department of Labor to confirm that there are no U.S. workers who are reasonably able, willing, and qualified to take the position in question before granting a foreign worker a visa. This process is in place as a protection for U.S. workers.

    • Is It Necessary to Be Sponsored by an Employer?

      An individual does not necessarily have to be sponsored by an employer if he or she qualifies for the national interest waiver or has an extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics through sustained national or international acclaim. Our attorney can help you determine if this is the case for you.

    • Can I Work While a Petition Is Pending?

      Not necessarily. If a labor certification or immigrant visa petition is pending, an individual cannot begin working. However, if that individual obtains or maintains a non-immigrant working visa status, he or she can continue to work and then file for adjustment of status. Another option would be to file an Application for Employment Authorization, which would allow the individual to work.

    • Can I Travel While a Petition Is Pending?

      In most cases, an individual may travel while the labor certification process or other petitions are pending. Speak with our attorney to ensure that this applies to your case before traveling.

    • What is USCIS?

      USCIS stands for the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. It functions as part of the Department of Homeland Security and supervises legal immigration to the United States. The USCIS must approve green cards, work permits, naturalization, visas, and other immigration-related applications and petitions.

    • Can I Work in the United States While Waiting for a Green Card?

      If you already have a valid work visa, such as an H-1B visa, you can continue to work while you apply for a green card. If you do not already have a valid work visa, you have to wait until you obtain one before you can start working in the U.S. Also, if you are eligible for Employment Authorization Document, you can apply for it.

    • Why Would a Green Card Application Be Denied?

      In some cases, a green card application will be denied due to mistakes on important forms, a lack of sufficient evidence of eligibility, missing documents, or a variety of other reasons.

    • How Much Does a Green Card Cost?

      The total cost of a green card application will vary depending on the specifics of the case. An attorney can give you a more exact estimate of what your case will entail.

    • What Should I Do if My Visa Has Expired?

      If your visa has expired, time is of the essence in straightening out your case. Contact an immigration attorney as soon as possible to start filling out the necessary paperwork.