How to Speed Up the Immigration Process in Emergency Situations

worried couple

Can You Speed Up the Immigration Process in Emergency Situations?

However, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) does allow immigrants to apply for “Expedited Processing” if they believe their case should be given immediate attention and should be put ahead of all other waiting applicants.

The U.S. immigration system is known for its long waits and unexpected delays. This can be a frustrating experience for many immigrants, especially if they need to enter the United States as soon as possible because of an emergency.

Our Chicago immigration attorneys can help you can speed up your immigration process in emergency situations. Call our firm today at (312) 471-0014 or contact us online!

When Can I Request Expedited Processing?

Expedited processing is only available in unique circumstances that call for immediate action. Below we put together a list of situations that qualify for expedited processing:

  • If your family member is very ill or dying in your home country and you need permission to leave while your green card application is being processed, you can request an expedited process
  • If you have a scheduled surgery coming up that will require a long recovery process, you can ask the USCIS to reschedule hearings
  • If you are a member of the military and you will be shipped overseas on an upcoming date, you can request an expedited fiancé visa to bring your foreign fiancé to the U.S. before you depart to get married.

However, if the USCIS has already given out the maximum number of visas in your category, you won’t be able to obtain one even with an expedited processing request.

How Can I Request an Expedited Processing?

If you believe that you qualify for expedited processing, you can prepare a letter and send it to the office that is currently handling your case. The letter will need to provide specific details about your situation and how you will experience undue hardship if you don’t get your request approved.

It is vital that you provide evidence that your case is an emergency. For example, you can provide letters from a doctor or military orders.

If you need help expediting your immigration process, contact our Chicago immigration lawyers today at (312) 471-0014 to schedule a consultation!

Related Posts
  • Can Naturalized U.S. Citizen Lose Citizenship by Living in Another Country? Read More
  • I-9 - Extension of the COVID requirements Read More
  • Asylum Seeker - current state Read More