Skip to Content

What Are the Different Types of Visas for Permanent Workers?

woman using a laptop

If you want to permanently work in the United States, there are various types of visas available to help you. Permanent residents are subjected to fewer restrictions compared to workers with temporary visas. Permanent workers also don’t need to worry about renewing their visa or getting deported. Our Chicago immigration attorneys explain the different types of visas available for foreign nationals who want to permanently work in the United States.

If you need help obtaining a permanent work visa, contact our Chicago employment immigration attorneys today at (312) 471-0014 to schedule a consultation!

Types of Permanent Work Visas

You may be eligible to permanently live and work in the United States if you have the right set of skills, education, and work experience. Below we list the top three preferred visas for workers who want to live in the United States permanently.

EB-1 Visa

To obtain an EB-1 visa, you must have extraordinary abilities in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics through sustained national or international acclaim. You may also qualify if you are an outstanding professor, researcher, multinational executive, or manager. To demonstrate that you have sustained national or international acclaim and that your achievements have been recognized in your field of expertise, you must include evidence of a one-time achievement (i.e., Pulitzer, Oscar, Olympic Medal).

If you don’t have a one-time achievement or recognition, you can present multiple pieces of evidence that demonstrate that you qualify. For example, you can show that you are a member of associations in the field that demand outstanding achievement, that you published material in your profession, etc.

An experienced attorney can review your situation to determine what evidence you can present to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

EB-2 Visa

You may qualify for an employment-based, second preference visa (EB-2) if you hold an advanced degree (or its equivalent) or you are a foreign national who has exceptional ability. You will need to apply for a job that requires an advanced degree (a degree equivalent and progressive work in your field).

You will also need to prove that you have exceptional ability in the sciences, arts, or business. In most cases, the USCIS will require you to have at least ten years of full-time experience in your occupation, along with an educational background, and recommendations of other experts in the field.

EB-3 Visa

To qualify for an EB-3 visa, you must be a “skilled worker,” “professional,” or “other worker.” Below we explain what each of these types of workers entails:

  • Skilled Worker: According to the USCIS, skilled workers are individuals whose jobs require a minimum of two years of training or experience and are not for temporary or seasonal positions. The skilled worker must meet the educational, training, or experience requirements of the job opportunity.
  • Professionals: The USCIS states that professionals are people whose job requires at least a U.S. baccalaureate or foreign equivalent degree and are a member of the professions.
  • Other Workers: The USCIS qualifies other workers as a subcategory for individuals who are performing unskilled labor that requires less than two years of training, education, or experience, not of a temporary or seasonal nature.

Chicago Employment Immigration Attorneys

At Panteva Law Group, LLC, we understand that it can be difficult to determine if you successfully qualify under any of these categories. That is why we are dedicated to helping clients with their employment immigration journey. Our team can review your situation and help you determine which permanent work visa you qualify for. We can also help you with the application process to help you achieve your desired results.

Contact our Chicago employment immigration lawyers today at (312) 471-0014 to schedule a case review!