Do I Need a Visa If My Employer Wants to Transfer Me to the U.S.?

workers in office

My Employer Wants to Transfer Me to the U.S., Do I Need a Visa?

The short answer is, yes. You will need to obtain a visa to work in the United States, even if you are already employed by that company in your country. There is a specialized visa you can obtain for transferred executives and employees – an L-1 visa.

Global companies have offices all around the world, and oftentimes they find it fit to transfer employees to international offices. If you work for a global company that wants to transfer you overseas, you might be wondering if you need a visa.

If you need help getting an employment visa, contact our Chicago immigration lawyers today at (312) 471-0014 or contact us online to schedule a consultation!

What Are The L-1A & L-1B Employee Transfer Visas?

L-1A Nonimmigrant Visa

The L-1A nonimmigrant visa allows a U.S. employer to transfer an executive or manager from one of its affiliated foreign offices to one of its offices in the United States. Foreign companies can also use the L-1A visa to send their executive or manager to the United States with the purpose of expanding their business in the states.

L-1B Nonimmigrant Visa

The L-1B nonimmigrant allows a U.S. employer to transfer a professional with “specialized knowledge” relating to the organization’s interests from an international office to an office in the United States.

Similar to an L-1A visa, the L-1B visa also gives foreign companies the opportunity to use this visa to expand their business in the states. The major difference between both visas is the qualifications of the employee.

You may qualify for an L-1 classification visa if you:

  • Have a relationship with a foreign company (parent company, branch, subsidiary, or affiliate, collectively referred to as qualifying organizations)
  • And is currently doing business in the United States or will be doing business in the states.

Chicago Employment Immigration Attorneys

If you need a visa to transfer to a United States office, you need an experienced attorney on your side. Getting an employment visa is a complex task that requires legal insight.

Our team at Panteva Law Group, LLC has been helping employees get the visas they need to work in the United States. We can also help you get the visa you need to efficiently transfer to your U.S. office.

Contact our Chicago employment immigration lawyers today at (312) 471-0014 to schedule a consultation!